Ayushman Bharat Yojna is an effort by the Indian Government to help the underprivileged and marginalized families across the country avail quality healthcare facilities. Also known as the PM Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY), this scheme was launched on 23rd September 2018 by honorable Prime Minister Narendra Modi. It is the world’s largest healthcare scheme that promises to provide health insurance coverage to 10 crore families living below the poverty line. As a part of this scheme, underprivileged families will get up to Rs. 5 lakh per annum to cover the cost of hospitalization and other medical treatments.
The principal objectives of PMJAY scheme are mentioned below:
- Developing a network of health and wellness infrastructure across the country to deliver comprehensive primary healthcare services.
- Providing insurance coverage to at least 40 percent of the country’s population which is deprived of secondary and tertiary care services.
Some of the other major benefits of the PMJAY scheme are as follows:
- Beneficiaries for the PMJAY scheme are selected from the Socio-Economic Caste Census of 2011. Almost 10 crore families are expected to benefit from this scheme, out of which 8 crore families are from the rural areas and 2 crore families reside in urban India.
- There is no need for beneficiaries to fill any application form or undergo any registration process to avail the benefits of the PMJAY scheme. Eligible individuals will be provided a letter. The government will also help the beneficiaries with transport allowances.
- All kinds of diseases are covered under the PMJAY scheme. Moreover, it also secures the individuals suffering from pre-existing conditions. Both pre and post hospitalization expenses are covered under the PMJAY scheme.
- The PMJAY scheme allows the beneficiaries to avail cashless medical treatment from any empaneled public or government hospital across the country.
- In order to avail the benefits of PMJAY Ayushman Bharat policy, it is not mandatory to have an Aadhar card. However, beneficiaries are required to carry the issued ID to receive free treatment at the hospital.
- Another major advantage of the Ayushman Bharat Yojana is that there is no cap on family size, age, and gender. This is to ensure that every person belonging to the financially weaker section enjoys the health insurance benefits under the PMJAY scheme.
- This health insurance coverage will take care of almost all the secondary and a majority of the tertiary care procedures.
- The PMJAY scheme is likely to encourage the production of more affordable healthcare equipment and medicines.
Keeping all these benefits in mind, it can be safely assumed that the PMJAY Ayushman Bharat Scheme will help the underprivileged individuals across the country lead a better and more fulfilling life.